Pages

Wednesday 6 June 2018

Noticing about me as a teacher


It’s exciting to see teachers adopting the idea of thoughtfully considered reflective questions for themselves, as well as for the learners, in continued pursuit of the goal of developing the whole child – and the whole teacher! – rather than simply focusing on curriculum content.
If I want the children in my class to be creative, how might I encourage creative experimentation? How will I foster creative thinking and problem solving?
From:

WHAT DO YOU NOTICE ABOUT YOURSELF AS A TEACHER? JUNE 2, 2018 | WHATEDSAID


Well, after reading this excerpt from WhatEdsaid, I worked on doing something different to encourage creative experimentation. My writing group got a chance to review a book that was written by Neil Geoffrey and illustrated by Richard Hlt. This book "Gassy Goosey" is a first time author's book-yet to be published. What better chance than reviewing this book for my writers in my group to experience. This process of reviewing the book was a great chance for the students to read the book and talk about the style of writing, the ideas, the vocabulary and the audience and purpose for writing this book. My group thoroughly enjoyed reviewing the book. They are now keen on reading the book to the younger students in the school in order to test out they were right in saying that this book was written for 5 to 7 year olds for enjoying listening to the story. 
Reviewing the book also gave my group a chance to understand what it takes to be an author and a good illustrator.
The students have also e-mailed the author to invite him over to discuss what they reviewed with reasons. We are waiting for Neil Geoffrey to meet with them and receive feedback for his next book. This I think is creative experimentation. I have fostered creative thinking and problem solving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment